Q&A Bulletin Board
Q. Why do I need the EASY Baby Program?
A. The EASY Baby Program teaches you valuable, essential information about your baby’s development that will help him/her through his/her entire life. It has often been said that, “everything we need to know we learn in the early years”. Some say by the time we are three, others by the time we are six. One thing we do know is that baby’s first year sets the foundation for the rest of his/her life and that having good developmental skills in all our developmental areas is a tremendous asset in your child’s learning, growth and health.
Q. What will I learn in the EASY Baby Program?
A. In the EASY Baby Program you will learn about your child’s:
- Developmental areas and the most important things you can do to assist in your baby’s enhanced growth in both body and brain.
- The EASY Baby Program focus is on the important skills of Movement, Massage, Sensory-Motor Integration, Self-Calming, Digestion, Sleep, Infant Safety, Communication and Interaction.
- We will explain to you in detail about all of these areas, specific activities to enhance them and why doing so will support your baby today and throughout the rest of his/her life.
- You will also learn how to help your baby with gas, constipation, colds and fretfulness.
- Finally, and most importantly, you will learn how to observe your baby, make informed choices, and intervene to prevent any future difficulties in learning, behavior and skills.
Q. What is SOS?
A. SOS (Systems Optimal Support) is our method of explaining about all of the human developmental systems. These include :The Sensory-Motor System, The Respiratory System, The Digestive System, and more.
The EASY Baby Program asserts, and brain research continues to explain how, promotion of each of these systems, as well as their interaction with each other, creates healthy and balanced, life long optimal growth and performance.
The more you know about these fundamental systems, and can respond to your individual child’s needs within each of them, the more you can help your baby establish the best foundation for health and wellness in body and mind.
Q. Why is my baby’s Tummy Time so important? What about SIDS?
A. Tummy time is one of the important “developmental positions” that your baby needs to learn about her body. There are many reasons that your child must spend time on his/her belly often during the day to promote good development. Here are some of them.
- Strengthens the muscles of your baby’s back and front that will lead to good rolling, sitting, crawling and walking.
- Promotes integration of early reflex patterns that leads to variety of skills in all areas of development.
- Stimulates the “vestibular sense” center. This happens when your child is lying on his/her belly and moves the head up and down. The vestibular center is involved with movement, balance and plays an important role in the ability and quality of “older” learning skills like reading, writing, attention and concentration.
- Supports good digestion, (by laying on his/her stomach, the muscles of digestion get stronger and work to prevent excessive gas, constipation and decrease reflux, (excessive spitting up).
- Supports good breathing, preventing colds and respiratory conditions.
SIDS, (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome), is a serious condition whose cause is unknown. Since “The Back to Sleep Program”, was initiated ten years ago the number of children affected by SIDS has been reportedly cut in half from approximately five thousand to twenty-five hundred per year.
In this same time period the number of children who have required help for motor and learning delays has grown exponentially. Researchers are trying to find a link between decreased tummy time and these delays. What we do know is that Safe and Monitored tummy time will assist your baby in his important developmental growth and enhance prevention of difficulties in movement and learning.
BACK TO TOP